Hello Year 5 and welcome back!
I hope you have had a nice break!
We have a very exciting term ahead, we have lots of sunshine and exciting learning this term. Below is our Year 5 overview of what we will be learning this term, our topic is ABRACADABRA and we are going to be doing many exciting activities.
Homework will be posted on google classroom every Friday afternoon. If you have any questions you can always leave a message on google classroom. If you have forgotten your email address or password to log in you can email me on email@example.com.
Homework needs to be submitted by Monday morning. Spelling test is every Wednesday remember to go to Spellzone and learn your words.
In addition, make sure you are:
- Reading for at least 20 minutes per day. This can be done on Epic! or with a text of your choice. (class log in: zjr4570. https://www.getepic.com)
- Challenging yourself with extra Maths practice. Let me know if you need your log in sent to you. (https://sso.prodigygame.com/game/start?rid=a7eddb37-cdd5-498c-807d-6922e59b94ee)
- Practice your spelling words of the week. I will be quizzing you on these when we return! Words with silent letters.
- Finding the meaning of at least 5 new words in whatever book/ text/ comic you are reading!
- Practicing your keyboard skills: Dance Mat Typing
- Go to Bitesize and learn some information about space, there are many interesting videos to watch as well! https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zsvtqfr
In Maths we have been focusing on decimals. This week we have been adding and subtracting decimals. We have used a range of methods such as bar models, column method and part part whole model.
In writing we are reading the book 'Kick' By Mitch Johnson.
We have been looking at child labour around the world and we are going to be writing a persuasive letter to John Stones to persuade him to join the cause and put an end to child labour.
This week we have used colons to give more information and explain our point further.
For Science week we did an experiment called the Rocket Blast Balloon. We looked at different variables which effected the distance the balloon travelled.
In RE this week we have been looking at the journey of life, we worked in groups and drew out the different life events and milestones we go through.